Monday 27 August 2012

Wort-Cunning: The Use of Herbs

The term "wort-cunning" translates to "herb wisdom" and describes the use of herbs in Pagan and Heathen practises. Nearly every culture ascribes a specific meaning or property to plants or flowers or herbs - even in today's society we still do this. Roses, for example, are an almost universal symbol of love and passion, and have been for some time.

Because of the sheer number of cultures and traditions or paths which utilise herbs in various practises, the "meanings" and "properties" of a single herb can become a bit confused, or unnecessarily complicated.

One of the most popular ways to use this knowledge is to create herb sachets, or mojo bags, or talismans (something which I do frequently.) They're typically small and easy to carry on your person in every day life, which is a huge part of the appeal. Another method is to create a bath mix of herbs, for ritual baths or a specific sort of cleansing. Some individuals prefer to work with essential oils and extracts, creating perfumes which can be applied and worn rather than physically carried around. All three methods typically have similar, if not the same, results - though the bath idea is usually a one-off deal that has few lingering effects.

Another method in which herbs are used is by placing them on one's altar, or around one's house. Mint leaves on one's altar, for example, are believed to attract good spirits.

I typically purchase my supplies from herbal medicine stores, which tend to be mostly organic (not a major selling point for me, but for some it's vital) and what I cannot find in there I often come across while wandering around or by purchasing the plant I need. Orchids are a bit of a pain in that orchid petals are very handy to have and very difficult to find if you don't want to buy four or five plants and care for them year-round.

Additionally, I have some very helpful friends and family members who will spot something I've mentioned to them while they're out and sometimes bring some back for me. As it is, I'm currently on a bleak-looking quest for cypress - not cedar cypress, though. There are surprisingly few of those trees around here, which is proving irksome. I may have to default to using oils - a medium which I find a bit messy- instead.

As I work with new plants, flowers, roots, and herbs I make a note of what they are, what they are believed to do, and so on in a compendium-in-progress which I have been working on for the last few months. I am hoping to complete it in the next year or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment